posted Apr 1, 2017, 1:24 PM by Sophia Webmaster
800 WISDOM members gathered in Madison on March 30. We were inspired; we learned a lot; we strengthened our diverse community of faithful people seeking justice; we shared our message with our elected officials. From Dr. Alex Gee's powerful keynote address to Revs. Boyle, Brisco and Mattern's inspirational send-off, the day was packed with quality workshops, legislative visits, and amazing, powerful testimonies from our leaders.
There will be more to report from Madison Action Day in future communications. But, today we need to focus on some follow-up steps that are coming up very soon!
- The WISDOM Immigration Task Force, which was buoyed by tremendous enthusiasm from so many people from around the state looking to protect, educate and act on behalf of embattled immigrants, will have a conference call this MONDAY, April 3, at 7:30 pm. The number to call is 712-432-1601, passcode 423950# This is a great moment to get involved!
- Also, on Monday, the legislative Joint Finance Committee will have its first Public Hearing of the season, at UW Platteville. A group is going from Madison to each take their 2 minutes to share our concerns with this important budget-making committee. If you can join us in Platteville on Monday morning, please do. Call David Liners, 414-736-2099, for more information.
- The second Joint Finance Committee Hearing will be Wednesday, April 5, at State Fair Park in West Allis. We hope to have a strong showing from Southeast Wisconsin. For more information, or to connect with others who intend to go to testify, call the WISDOM office, 414-831-2070.
- The third Joint Finance Hearing will be Friday, April 7, at the Berlin High School. Berlin is about 35 miles west of Oshkosh. Again, to connect with others who intend to make their voices heard in Berlin, call the WISDOM office.
- Finally, next Saturday, April 8, at 8:30 am, the Parole and Compassionate Release Workgroup has their monthly conference call. New members are welcomed and encouraged to attend. Call 712-432-1601, passcode 423950#.
We did a lot of good things on Madison Action Day. This week, we have a lot of opportunities to keep the momentum going!